The Impact of Disasters on Independent Contractors: Victims of Circumstances
In this paper, we examine the PRCM disaster in detail, revisiting the debates concerning the differences between “an independent contractor” versus “an employee” with the aim of shifting the focus from the employee and employment to the idea of working and the organisation of this work. While we acknowledge that debates on how “independent contractors” are defined have been “interminable”, the question still remains: what is “an employee” and more importantly what is “an independent contractor”? Furthermore, in this paper, our focus is on “independent contactors” as single individuals who may or may not have a contractual relationship with others as employees or other dependent or independent contractors.
|Author(s)||F. Lamm, N. McDonnel, R. Lamare|
|Year of publication||Oct, 2014|
|Journal||Adapt E-Journal of International and Comparative Labour Studies|
|Volume, Number||3, 3|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Publicatie top 10
- The Quest for Work and Family Balance Using Flexible Work Arrangements, 2015. S.E. Forris.
- Bevrijd of beklemd? Werk, inhuur, inkomen en welbevinden van zzp’ers., 2014. E. Josten, C. Vrooman, J.D. Vlasblom.
- Race to the ZZP bottom verhinderen zonder betutteling, 2014. M. Canoy, R. Fransman.
- The Impact of Disasters on Independent Contractors: Victims of Circumstances, 2014. F. Lamm, N. McDonnel, R. Lamare.
- The double psychological contracts of temporary agency workers, 2014. M. Morf, A. Arnold, B. Staffelbach.
- Jong en werkloos: lid van een verloren generatie? 2014. F. Dekker.
- Inter-firm job mobility and occupational transitions in Spain: are they related? 2014. A. Caparrós Ruiz.
- Female labour market participation in Europe: novel evidence on trends and shaping factors, 2014. A. Cipollone, E. Patacchini, G. Vallanti.
- State Regulation, Economic Reform and Worker Rights: The Contingent Effects of China’s Labour Contract Law, 2014. T. Lan, J. Pickles, S. Zhu.
- Self-perceived job insecurity across Europe over time: Does changing context matter? 2014. C. Lübke, M. Erlinghagen.